For information regarding our October 2017 Pilgrimage to the Holy Land, read below.
Please call 202-536-4555 or email Pilgrimages@InsideTheVatican.com to have us hold a place for you. We expect a quick sellout!
Inside the Vatican Magazine
Holy Land Pilgrimage
October 22 – November 4, 2017
Jordan and Israel
A Personal Invitation from Dr. Robert Moynihan:
Of all the pilgrimages one can make in the world, one pilgrimage stands out as special: a pilgrimage to the Holy Land in the footsteps of Jesus.
Who has not desired to walk in the places where Jesus walked, to look out over the Sea of Galilee, to walk through the streets of Nazareth, to pray in the grotto in Bethlehem where Christ was born, to stand in silence by the tomb of Christ where his body was laid and from whence He rose to eternal life?
Our pilgrimage is designed to provide you with a complete experience of the Holy Land. We will visit the key historic places, landmarks on the road of the faith, and we will do so in a quiet, faith-filled way that will allow time for prayer and reflection in each place we visit.
We will begin in Jordan, the land Abraham passed through when he journeyed in faith to the “land flowing in milk and honey” God had promised to him and his descendants. We will visit the site where Elijah ascended into heaven in a fiery chariot 900 years before the time of Christ — almost 3,000 years ago. We will see Mt. Nebo, the site from where Moses viewed the Promised Land before his death. We will also see the astonishing city of Petra, just a few miles from the border of Israel, called “the most amazing ghost town in the world,” and the city that, after Jerusalem, is named most often in Scripture.
We will then cross over the Jordan River near the salt-filled Dead Sea, in the rough desert country where the Essenes lived in the time of Christ, and where the Dead Sea scrolls were found, near Mt. Masada. There we will see the place where Jesus was baptized in the Jordan River.
We will then go to the places where Jesus was born (Bethlehem), grew up (Nazareth), began his ministry, performed his miracles, gathered his disciples, and taught the Sermon on the Mount (the region around the Sea of Galilee). Afterwards, we’ll go to Jerusalem, where Jesus experienced his passion and death.
Making such a journey changes forever how you view the Scriptures and understand and react to the Gospels. By traveling yourself to the places where Jesus walked, you can draw closer to Him in spirit. You can see the same landscape he saw, the same rippling waves on the Sea of Galilee, the same fields of grass and olives that he would have seen 2,000 years ago.
So, consider: would you like to take two weeks out of your lifetime and experience first-hand the subtle beauties of the Holy Land? Would you like to walk in the very footsteps of Jesus?
If you decide to join us, we promise to do all that we can to make this trip a Spirit-filled journey; one that will deepen your faith, and deepen your understanding of the faith.
Our pilgrimage leaders, including a Russian Orthodox priest named Father Ilya Gotlinsky, who has privileged access to many of the sites administered by the Orthodox in the Holy Land, will be sensitive to your needs. We realize that many people will make only one trip in their lives to the Holy Land and we will do all in our power to see the sites related to the life of Christ, while allowing time for rest and reflection on this journey of a lifetime.
Please consider joining us and, if possible, bring along a spouse, a friend, or a child to make the pilgrimage even more memorable this year and in years to come.
We hope you will join us on this journey. God bless you!
Founder and Editor of Inside the Vatican magazine
• Spend 2 days and 1 night in the historic city of Madaba, known for its Byzantine mosaics
• Spend 2 nights in the city of Petra with a spectacular view of the valley and the Petra mountains
• Accommodations in Mosaic City Hotel in Madaba and the Petra Marriott in Petra (photo right)
• Spend one night at the Amman Marriott Hotel in Amman
• Celebrate Mass in St. George Church
• Walk along the Jordan River, the site of the Baptism of Christ and ascension of Elijah
• Visit the sites on Mt. Nebo, overlooking the Holy Land
• Explore the ruins of Mukawir
• Roam the ancient ruins room and staircases of Petra (photo left), and the lesser-traveled Little Petra, towns literally carved out of the mountainside.
• Journey to Shobak Castel, a medieval crusader fortress
• Tour the ancient ruins of the once prosperous city of Jerash
Sea of Galilee Area
• Spend 2 nights in the border city of Tiberias
• Stay at the 4-Star Rimonim Mineral Hotel (photo right) overlooking the Sea of Galilee
• Spend time in Nazareth, the town where Christ spent His youth
• Celebrate Mass in the Catholic Orthodox Basilica of the Annunciation and explore the Franciscan excavations
• See Mount Precipice, where the Nazarenes rejected the Messiah
• Visit the holy sites of Cana
• Take a day trip to the towns around the Sea of Galilee, including Magdala, Capernum, and Kursi
• Spend 2 nights on the edge of the Sea of Galilee in the City of Tiberias
• Celebrate Mass on the Mount of the Beatitudes and Mount Tabor
• Walk in the footsteps of Christ and His apostles including a visit to Tabgha, the site of the multiplication of the loaves and the fishes
• View ancient artifacts including a fishing boat (photo left) from the time of Christ.
• Pray at the Church of the Primacy of St. Peter
• Journey to the once-walled city of Jericho
• Bathe in the Dead Sea
• Spend 6 nights in Israel’s capital city, Jerusalem, the ancient Jewish religious center
• Enjoy the accommodations at the Grand Court Hotel (photo right)
• Take a day trip to the little town of Bethlehem, the birth place of the Christ child and celebrate Mass
• Walk the Shepherds’ Field
• Visit the Monastery of the Cross, built on the site of the tree from which Jesus’ cross was cut
• Explore treasure troves of art, history and artifacts contained in the Museum of Israel and the Davidson Archaeological Park, located steps away from the Wailing Wall
• Travel to Bethany, the home of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus, and visit the tomb of Lazarus, and the Inn of the Good Samaritan
• Experience the ecumenical spirit of the Christians of Taybeh
• Visit the Russian Ecclesiastical School, which currently educates Christian and Muslim girls through the 9th grade
• Discover the holy sites of Mt. Zion, including Dormition Abbey, the tomb of King David, the Church of St. Peter in Gallicantu, and the Upper Room where the Last Supper took place
• Make a pilgrimage to the holy sites of the Mount of Olives (photo left) to include the Garden of Gethsemane; Ascension Chapel; the Pater Noster Church; the Church of Dominus Flevit, where Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus; the Tomb of the Prophets Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi; the tomb of the Theotokos; and the Russian Orthodox Convent of St. Mary Magdalene
• Stroll though the ruins of the City of David, the remains of the ancient palace of the Jewish Kings, and the Roman Cardo, an ancient marketplace
• View the Pool of Bethesda, where Christ cured the paralytic
• Walk the steps of Christ during His Passion; Celebrate Mass at the Holy Sepulcher, the tomb of Christ; see Calvary and the prison of Christ; walk the Via Dolorosa where Christ carried His cross; enter the Monastery of the Flagellation, built over the site where Christ was whipped; and stand in the Praetorium, the court of Pontius Pilate.
• This pilgrimage is a Land Package only.
• A deposit of $500.00 per participant is required at the time of booking. Please make payments by check payable to Inside the Vatican.
• The number of pilgrims is limited to 30 to allow for a peaceful and personal experience.
• Dr. Robert Moynihan, editor of Inside the Vatican magazine, Deborah Tomlinson, COO of Inside the Vatican magazine, and our partner and friend, Russian Orthodox priest Fr. Gotlinsky Ilya will be with the pilgrims for the entire pilgrimage.
• Transfers to the hotel from the Amman airport upon arrival on Monday, October 23, 2017 are included in the package. There will be one (1) group transfer from the hotel to the Tel Aviv airport upon departure on Saturday, November 4, 2017. To be included in the group transfer, please schedule your flight to depart from Tel Aviv airport at 10:00 a.m. or later.
• Catholic Mass will be scheduled most days, if not each day.
• Buses & Fees — private bus and guide services are included in this package, along with all entry fees and tips.
• Meals — 12 breakfasts, 12 dinners, and 3 lunches are included.
We will make every effort to adhere to the printed program and itinerary. On rare occasions, it may be necessary to adjust arrangements due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control (including such circumstances as the weather, acts of God, airline schedule changes, hotel requisitions, political disturbances, or mechanical problems). Should such adjustment be necessary, a substitution will be made to the best of our abilities.
Join Inside the Vatican for this once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage!
For more information or to reserve your spot, contact our US Office at 1-202-536-4555 or email us at Pilgrimages@InsideTheVatican.com
We have many pilgrimages in 2017 –2017 Pilgrimages